Thursday, December 26, 2013

Kansas City Plaza Club Presentation

Slideshow at Plaza Club

I gave a 20 minute talk on my presentation called Hunger Games.

It was a good group of about 55 men.

I am still trying to hone my talk.
Energy gap is a difficult concept to present especially when adding Energy Expenditure curves.




These three slides are critical concepts that I tried to present:

1-The False Premise
"Dieters can wipe the slate clean, our newer slimmer bodies retain no memory of our larger prior body."
 From:
The Weight of the Nation by Hoffman & Salerno pg. 168

2-The Set Point
"The research of Dr. Leibel & Dr. Rosenbaum shows that even after ten years of successfully maintaining a significant weight loss, the body doesn't readjust".

3-Calorie is not a calorie
"Fifty year old 3,500 calorie rule equates weight alteration of one pound to 3,500 cal. deficit/increment.  It ignores the physiological compensation by the body."
From:
Myths, Presumptions, and Facts about Obesity
N Engl J Med 2013; 368:446-454 January 31, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment

update trials of Alzheimers

 The best part of the day is when I have a bowel movement.   Recently started Miralax. I found MOM too harsh. Pacing helps but I get exhaust...