Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Editorial on Vegetarian diets

Non- vegetarians drink 9.8 wine.
Vegetarians drink 23 wine. 

Link to Editorial


Vegetarian diet is one of the good restrictive diets as some people are able to stick to it for the rest of their lives. 

However as this quote from the editorial states:
"Nevertheless, it is possible to eat a vegan diet that is highly processed, rich in fat and hydrogenated oils and low in fiber; this sort of diet will not provide health benefits solely because it is devoid of animal flesh."  

East Asian vegetarians have this problem with frying foods in USA and develop metabolic syndrome. 

My concern is the best diet for obese insulin resistant patients.  I think Low Carb High Fat is best for them. 

This editorial states vegetarian diets are lower Hgb A1c but the trials mostly have con-founding data of weight loss as well.  

I don't think this editorial is fair about LDLc changes with non-vegetarian diets.  I think LDLp is more important and that data is largely lacking.  

CIMT, CAC data is lacking.  I have been concerned about this for myself and thus have done yearly CIMT's.  I have had regression of plaque on 60% fat. My metrics here 

Another quote from editorial:
"Compared with non‐vegetarians, vegetarians eat diets lower in total fat, saturated fat, and cholesterol and higher in fiber.19
They also consume more grains, legumes, vegetables (green leafy and yellow), fruit, and wine."19
9.8 ± 0.5 7.0 ± 2.5 9.4 ± 3.5 23.0 ± 4.45
Non- vegetarians drink 9.8 wine.
Vegetarians drink 23 wine.  

Ref 19 What do Vegetarians eat link

This begs the question that arises with the Mediterranean diet.  How big a role does wine play? 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

update trials of Alzheimers

 The best part of the day is when I have a bowel movement.   Recently started Miralax. I found MOM too harsh. Pacing helps but I get exhaust...