Friday, April 8, 2016

Exercise to lower cholesterol? Which type of cholesterol? What type of exercise?

Having passed the American Board of Obesity Medicine in Dec. 2015,  I am now studying for re-certification of my boards in Lipidology.

I do this to prepare myself to go back to the practice of medicine in June 2016.
I plan to open a Obesity/Lipid Clinic.

Statements from NLA Self Assessment Program Critique Book:


Above slide from Dr Horn lecture in Washington DC 2015

Below documents from NLA Guidelines Part 2      2015



Few controlled trials done with dyslipidemia and exercise:


 Exercise with weight loss will lower LDLc:


Leaving exercise and addressing weight loss and lipid change

Weight loss maintained in very few patients.


Ref 75:  Bays HE, Toth PP, Kris-Etherton PM, Abate N, Aronne LJ, Brown WV, Gonzalez-Campoy
JM, Jones SR, Kumar R, La Forge R, Samuel VT.
Obesity, adiposity, and dyslipidemia: a consensus statement from the National Lipid Association. J Clin Lipidol. 2013;7:304-83. 

I find the last sentence in the above paragraph made without any reference to the Look Ahead trial which had favorable changes in risk factors but was a negative trial. Gary Foster on Look Ahead trial




NLA Guidelines Part 2 in chart below summarized:





My question after comparing what NLA wrote in 2013 and in it's guidelines in 2015 is: 

Where is the apoB data mentioned in the NLA self-assessment program critique book that I posted at the start of this blog? 

Seems as if NLA guidelines Part 2 is going backward rather than forward.

Other blog links 

My review of exercise guidelines from studying for ABOM exam Dec 2015 


The NLA guidelines Part 2 on lifestyle made me sad


8 year weight loss maintenance of 5% failed to improve CV outcomes  


Look Ahead: 39% maintained greater than 10% weight loss for eight years.  

However, then you look at the control results (DSE) in Look Ahead.
24% of the control group lost more than 10% of weight after 8 years.  WOW! 



 








No comments:

Post a Comment

update trials of Alzheimers

 The best part of the day is when I have a bowel movement.   Recently started Miralax. I found MOM too harsh. Pacing helps but I get exhaust...