Thursday, August 18, 2016

Using Bioelectric Impedance Scale in Reduced obese

Bioelectrical Impedance analysis

"BIA is considered reasonably accurate for measuring groups, or for tracking body composition in an individual over a period of time,
but is not considered sufficiently accurate for recording of single measurements of individuals."

"Two-electrode foot-to-foot measurement is less accurate than 4-electrode (feet, hands) and eight-electrode measurement."


 I  am on 5 diet medications!

I am not losing weight.

However, I lost 40 lbs since I started Invokana and stopped Insulin and Actos.

Now the challenge is to maintain weight lose in the reduced obese state as demonstrated in THE BIGGEST LOSER by Gina Kolata

 Yesterday when I went to my Obesity Clinic at Stormont, the Nurse Practitioner who takes care of me was please with my body composition results.
Compare 5-16-16 when I weighed in at my lowest at 217.3 lbs to
8-17-16 at 222.5 lbs.

Without the benefit of Bioelectric Impedance Scale, one might say the five diet medications are failing.

However, in the last two months I began a high protein (2.4 mg/kg lean body weight) and circuit weight lifting of 25 repetitions to preserve muscle mass.( How to preserve muscle while losing weight)

My muscle mass increased by 1.8 lbs.
My body fat decreased by1.1%.
My fat free mass increased by 1.2%
My body water increased by 1.6%

I did this with an AD LIBITUM ADKINS DIET.   I am never hungry and I drink 2-4 oz ETOH almost everyday.

This is the Bon Vivant diet

The guidelines advise the National Weight Control Registry aspects of success.

1- weigh themselves every day
and then if 3-5 pounds heavier, they had a plan what to do about it immediately
2-they tended to have little variety in their food
3-they splurged less on food on holidays.
4-they ate 1,385 calories/day but the facilitator said they are under reporting
5-they ate 4.87 meals a day
6-they linked behaviors to something more than just losing weight.
For example they use walking as their social time.  They linked good behaviors to something they want to do.
7-they often had a life changing event such as divorce or new job.
8- they walk about five miles a day or exercise equivalent

It's also reported in Medical Clinics of North America Sept 2011 V 95 #5
on page 945:

Now compare the NWCR program to The Great Starvation Experiment done by Ancel Keys at the end of World War 2.

He put about 32 men on 24 weeks of a "starvation diet" that they had a very difficult time staying on.
It was about 1550 calories a day and they walked one hour a day.

The reduced obese are told to do this do the rest of their life.

Very few can do this for the rest of their life due to the low Leptin in the billions of shrunken fats cells that never go away.  I call this the
 Sponge Syndrome

No comments:

Post a Comment

update trials of Alzheimers

 The best part of the day is when I have a bowel movement.   Recently started Miralax. I found MOM too harsh. Pacing helps but I get exhaust...