Monday, November 26, 2018

Finding and treating insulin resistance and obesity very important

Before getting into the finer points of the article below that Ivor Cummings sent me to prove there was "massive evidence" that TG/HDLc ratio was much better than LDLc in predicting risk I want to give him and Jeff Gerber MD credit for improving my understanding of the importance of finding insulin resistance early with more aggressive lab work.  Insulin levels should be taken with fasting blood sugars and insulin resistant patients should be treated with low carb high fat diets.
I noted this in the second edition of my book.  The Chronic Disease of Obesity.

No other recent diet book that I admire discuss this.
1-Change Your Biology by Louis J Aronne MD
2-Always Hungry?  by David Ludwig
3-Diet Fix, Why diets fail and how to make yours work by Yoni Freedhoff.

My major critique of Eat Rich and Live Long is an attempt to show that TG/HDLc ratio reigns supreme by Ivor Cummings.  I have critiqued the 3 references he uses to prove his assertion at Only 1250 patients in 3 studies to show ratio reigns supreme

Now Ivor has sent me a retrospective review of cases that claims TG/HDLc is a better predictor.  2015 with 100,000 cases over eight years.

Quick problem with this study: "Being insulin resistant w LDLc less than 142 or nonHDLc less than 173 conferred a higher risk for ischemic events after 8 years than LDLc greater than 160"

These are high LDLc and nonHDLc with IR.

Especially in presence of IR, lipid goals lower




Article showing TG/HDL ratio more predictive than LDLc for CVE link

 The above chart uses 160 LDLc as cut off. 


Being insulin resistant with LDLc less than 142 or nonHDLc  less than 173 conferred a higher risk for ischemic events after 8 years than LDLc greater than 160





No comments:

Post a Comment

update trials of Alzheimers

 The best part of the day is when I have a bowel movement.   Recently started Miralax. I found MOM too harsh. Pacing helps but I get exhaust...