Saturday, June 15, 2019

My first black eye in my life



I went to help a carpet cleaner take a bookcase out of the basement, out the back door and up the hill to the street.  It was arduous for me but I thought I had it, until we dropped the bookcase while I was still walking.  I guess I had so much momentum I just kept going without stopping, I was moving forward and heading to the ground. I took 3 steps trying to slow down and regain my balance instead I went faster till I walked off the grass crashing into the concrete driveway.  I have had a few falls in the last two years due to my poor balance.  This was a very hard hit on concrete with my face bouncing off the ground.  I was dazed but got up and finished some of the cleaning work.  I had a slight headache.  I asked my partner if I was bleeding.  He said just a little.  When I looked in the mirror I had a small scrape above my left eye with little bleeding.  I put a bandaid on it and went back to my research.  Later when I got back up to check on the carpet work, he looked at my eye and was sorry to see the eye was swelling up.  I looked in the mirror.  I probably missed my best window of opportunity to prevent the swelling with ice.  I put iced peas on my eye but the swelling became much worse.  Very little pain.  I am on a blood thinner so I was worried about getting a sub-dural hematoma.  I told my wife to call 911 if I pass out.  There was no bleeding into the other eye so I was not worried about an orbital bone fracture.  There was also no pain on palpation of the bones. 

I told my wife I can't do this work anymore. 
I am too light for heavy work and too heavy for light work.
In truth it is the result of my poor balance that has worsened since my diagnosis of Alzheimer's. 
The damage of the fall could have been much worse.
Fractured hip is high on the list. 
Just as I gave up my medical license and let my wife drive most the time I need to keep adjusting my behavior. 
I go up and down the basement steps 8 times a day.
I must stop going down the steps carrying items in both hands. 
As my Dad said years ago, "always go down steps with one hand on the banister". 
I gave up going on a ladder years ago. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

update trials of Alzheimers

 The best part of the day is when I have a bowel movement.   Recently started Miralax. I found MOM too harsh. Pacing helps but I get exhaust...