Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Off statin for 2 months, my cognitive testing seemed better to me


July 9,  2018
I had my first cognitive testing at the KUMCR Alzheimer's Center.  It took 3 hours.
It was stressful but not as bad as my Neuropsychological Assessment in Florida done on
4-1-17
10-5-17
10-10-17
at three different dates.
You can see the results of my Florida testing in my book:
I Am Waiting for When I forget I have Alzheimer's. YEAR ONE.

Update:
I had my second cognitive testing at the KUMCR Alzheimer's center.  Again it took 3 hours.

Interesting, I thought I did better on the test today than I had on the prior tests.
I was on Namzaric already when I took the first KUMCR cognitive.
I took todays test and had less stress than the prior tests.
My palms were sweating after the first hour which I don't remember having before.
  I was a little warm however my concentration was intense.
I have not taken Atorvastatin 10 mg since 4-2-19.  
LAB results off statin replaced with Niacin link
Perhaps that helped me with this test?

I suspect I did better after reading Moon walking with Einstein.

I learned to build memory palaces by reading the book.

Those techniques are too slow to apply for the short term memory tests.

However I did learn enough about improving my associations with the list of words by being more imaginative in making the quick tags.
I told the tester most people can only remember 5 to 9 words on a list. She seemed surprised.
She would come back to the list periodically and I found each time I remembered more words.
I think I ended up remembering more than 10 on the list on the third effort.
This success has given me hope that I may remain in early phase of impairment for years more.
I hope now to be able to write my YEAR 3 version next year.

In any event after the difficult testing I felt I had done better than one year  ago.

I took my second one hour MRI at Hoglund Scan center at KUMC.
Again it  was not so arduous this year.
Clearly because I used my two memories palaces to pass the time
I would think of my list of 55 European countries.
Then I would think of my list of top 16 trips.

Finally I would use the relaxation exercise taught by Alzheimer's Society.
I would chant
Sa
Ta
Na
Ma

over and over again.



No comments:

Post a Comment

update trials of Alzheimers

 The best part of the day is when I have a bowel movement.   Recently started Miralax. I found MOM too harsh. Pacing helps but I get exhaust...