Wednesday, August 7, 2019

New information for me about my Alzheimer's.


Follow up visit with my Florida neurologist.  
Dr Paul Elliot who made my diagnosis of Alzheimer’s very early in 2017 at the time another neurologist said to me what difference does it make. 
Dr. Elliot said most Family Practice Doctors feel the same way.  There is no treatment anyway so why diagnose early?
Dr. Elliot said that the new drugs trials may have failed but now the emphasis have switched to making the diagnosis as early as possible and then doing all the healthy things you can to prevent further damage to your brain. 
He listed:
1-Exercise 
2-Socialization
3- Treat your heart disease.
4- Treat hypertension and diabetes 
5- Mediterranean diet
I myself prefer  Low Carb High Fat diet or Atkins diet, especially for pre-diabetics and diabetes type 2.
He also told me something I had not known. 
Family Practice physicians will have patients stop their Aricept or Namzaric because of a side effect such as dizziness. The patient don’t see him, the neurologist, who ordered the medicine, for three months.  In that short period of 3 months the patient has a dramatic deterioration which they cannot recover from even with resuming the Namzaric. 
This is important information which I had not received before.
My last visit to Dr. Elliot was Oct.  I have two neurologists in Topeka but I wanted to continue with Dr. Elliot because he signed me up for a free PET scan on the last day of eligibility and made my diagnosis early in Dec 2017. My residence is in Florida and if I was sick here I wanted to have him available to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

update trials of Alzheimers

 The best part of the day is when I have a bowel movement.   Recently started Miralax. I found MOM too harsh. Pacing helps but I get exhaust...