Tuesday, August 13, 2019

Trying Task




Getting a drivers license renewed is always a challenging task especially for me when I was young in Brooklyn New York.  Big crowds, long lines, confusing situation the first time.

I am 67 years old now with Alzheimer's diagnosed since Dec 2017.

Yesterday I tried to renew my license  online.
First two times I stopped to look for information and was timed out.

The third time I believed I did everything correct and signed out.

I didn't see any more directions to follow.

Today when I did not get a confirmation letter via email, I worried.

I remember the DMV saying that it would take 7-10 business days.
We are leaving Florida on Aug 23.  This put stress on me which is difficult to deal with when making
decisions.

I called the DMV and to my surprise they answered with alacrity.

She  looked me up in her computer and said I was not on the list.

I asked what do I need to bring to the office?

 She responded, "Only your license and insurance card"

I thanked her, hung up and asked  my wife  "where is my insurance card?" She wasn't sure.

It was not in my wallet so I went down to the car and to my relief it was there.

We set off for the DMV office.  I found it easily on my laptop at home,

I should have written it down.

For some unknown reason I could not get SIRI to direct me to the DMV.

SIRI would give me several DMV's in St Lucie but not in Martin County.  We live on the border of the two counties.

Finally I called a St. Lucie DVM, she said she could give the phone number.

I said "please wait while I get a pen"

The pen wouldn't write.

I asked her to tell me the number and I did my best to scratch the paper with the number.
After we hung up Ginger and I were able to put the scratches with some memory
and I called the correct number. Ginger is driving all this time.  She had a general idea where the DMV was as we had been there a few years ago.

The agent told us she was on Willowbyes which Ginger then remembered as the correct address beginning with a 'W'.  We only had to remember 3 numbers of the address at that point.

I put it in GPS on iPhone just before the critical turn suffering no subsequent delay.

Still a stressful event for what should have been a simple task.

I had to take a vision test.

She told me to read the #5 line which was not in sequence in the three groups on the screen.

Finally she tells me it's in the green zone and I find it.

Not trouble to read the letters.  I'm glad I had my cataracts removed.
One eye lens for far vision and one eye for short vision.

I got my drivers license till 2017.

Happy happy Joy joy.

 It will probably be my last driver's license.

Last year in YEAR ONE book I wrote about doing several chores in Jensen beach.
I made numerous mistakes.
This year I went out with Ginger and had only one task to do.
Am I worse.  Probably, especially under stress.

I watched Bohemian Rhapsody, the movie about Queen.
"Who wants to live forever."
I may quote this at the beginning of my YEAR 2 book.





No comments:

Post a Comment

update trials of Alzheimers

 The best part of the day is when I have a bowel movement.   Recently started Miralax. I found MOM too harsh. Pacing helps but I get exhaust...