Tuesday, July 17, 2018

The dangers of nutritional ketosis? Fractures, kidney stones, constipation, death from arrhythmias, pancreatitis


A physician’s warning on the keto diet SHIVAM JOSHI, MD link
 @sjoshiMD article on dangers of ketosis and my review at above link 

Summary of my review
Risks vs benefits.  The side effects of ketosis  mentioned above may be worth it for kids whose seizures cannot be treated any other way.  I don’t think we can apply the same risk for children to adults.

I have been in nutritional ketosis since 2012 and my DEXA scan which was osteopenic after taking ACTOS is better.  I do have severe muscle cramps especially after plane flights.  I have treated the cramps successfully with chicken boullion 1,200 grams of salt a day and Magnesium gluconate powder 1,200 mg a day.  As for constipation.  My metformin actually causes me to have loose stools.  The only time I had constipation was when I lost 80 lbs in 2006 on the Jorge Cruise diet (balanced) of 1500 calories a day.  Lately I am hoping my nutritional ketosis will help prevent dementia. Kidney can be treated. If keto diet gives people the satiety to prevent further obesity I think the risk of BMI > 30 if much greater than osteoporosis, muscle cramps and constipation all of which can be treated with medications.  Unfortunately, Chronic Obesity with maintaining weight loss is very high risk and few people achieve.
Selinium replacement is easy to accomplish to prevent arrhythmias as with Magnesium deficiency. Most weight loss diets advise a multiple diet pills.

My main question to Dr. Joshi is what is the risk of getting fasting glucose and insulin level every year to determine early insulin resistance and then preventing DM2 with Low carbohydrate, high fat, high protein diet?  Treat with awareness of osteopenia (vitamin D & Calcium) Selinium deficiency (multi-vitamin tablet) constipation (increase fiber), kidney stones (increase fluid intake and screen for potential types of stones).

No comments:

Post a Comment

update trials of Alzheimers

 The best part of the day is when I have a bowel movement.   Recently started Miralax. I found MOM too harsh. Pacing helps but I get exhaust...