Sunday, July 24, 2016

Once more into the breach of weight loss with muscle gain

The Impossible Dream of
 Weight Loss with Muscle Gain


“All of the men also began a grueling workout routine.
Six days a week they reported to the exercise lab and completed a strenuous full-body weight training circuit, high-intensity intervals, or a series of explosive jumps and other exercises known as plyometric training.”
Forget this for this 64 yo man.  My body won't last two days. 
Important message here is for my LCHF diet.  I usually eat 200 grams protein.  If I calculate 2.4 g protein/kg (of ideal body weight of 84 kg instead of my actual weight of 100 kg),  I should eat 300 grams of protein a day.  That is potential 400 more calories a day, almost one pound of weight more a week.  I guess the extra weight lifting should make up for the difference?   

As I look at the  second Gretchen article of 3 sets of 25 reps four times a week,  I could do that. (until muscles exhausted.) 

The Aronne (Zickerman) method of 2 workouts a week of 10 minutes of absolute muscle failure seem guaranteed to cause me injury despite their advice to go super slow..
It’s the final 10 seconds of going for the burn that worries me.  
 That is the injury zone in my old mind.


Last month I increased my exercised by about 300%. 
I doubled my walks to 40 minutes a day. 
Circuit weight lifting 2-3 days a week. 
Water aerobics 2-3 days a week.

                    Wt.           Fat%       Muscle       H20                BMI
6-15-16        219.8      26.8%       41.3            54.1%            30.4     

7-20-16           221.6          27.2              41.7                53.7%                 30.7

I ate more with more exercise and gained some weight. 
2 pounds weight with half pound of it as muscle. 


Plan:
Lets see what happens with more protein and Gretchen's four sets of 25 reps of light weights four times a week.  
300 grams of protein a day for 85 kg ideal lean body weight. 
I will stop water aerobics. 
          



No comments:

Post a Comment

update trials of Alzheimers

 The best part of the day is when I have a bowel movement.   Recently started Miralax. I found MOM too harsh. Pacing helps but I get exhaust...