Friday, June 1, 2018

Can you diagnose Sarcopenia?

                                                9-3-16 above


5-31-18 above

After winter this man gained 9 pounds.  He did get protein powder to get to 150 grams of protein a day while doing a vigorous weight lifting routine. He could not keep up with mixing the powder each day.

He only gained 2.6 pounds of muscle. 
BIA(Bioelectrical Impedance Analysis) scales are not very accurate measuring muscle.  It is helpful to show tremendous muscle loss with tremendous weight loss. 

The more important data is that his fat% increased from 14.5% to 17.2%.

A reference 33 year old male 75 kg (165 lbs.) This 62 yo male whose BIA is posted at the top with weight gain reached this reference point. 

40% of a 33 yo man should be muscle
19% of this 62 yo man is muscle.

This was surprising to me. He does not look overweight with BMI 24.5
I see him working out at the gym vigorously with heavy weights doing 3 sets of 15 or less repetitions. 
I suggested he do 3 sets of 25 repetitions 4 times a week and eat 130 to 150 grams of protein with EAS or Premium protein shakes to supplement his three main meals.  He said he would find it difficult to give up carbohydrates but I warned him if he increases fat and protein with carbohydrate he will increase his fat%.





This 62 male looks very healthy and fit.  I would put him in the athletic range above normal and sedentary.  Fat% range for athletic is 13-19%.  I am trying to prevent the sarcopenia we can expect in the next 10 years.




                                            

No comments:

Post a Comment

update trials of Alzheimers

 The best part of the day is when I have a bowel movement.   Recently started Miralax. I found MOM too harsh. Pacing helps but I get exhaust...