Thursday, June 14, 2018

My challenge to proponents of LCHF


I am in nutritional ketosis and yet I do not lose weight because of being in the plateau.
My challenge to ketosis fans is show me the list of patients (10 would be a good start) on LCHF who have maintained their weight loss for 5-10 years
OR
Tell me how to get down to 190 lbs without muscle loss and maintain it for 2 years.


Here's my story
My goal is to get to 190 pounds and waist 39 inches
to help my DM2 and insulin resistance.
I am trying to not lose muscle so I have
been eating 130 to 160 grams of protein a day.
Subsequently I usually eat 2,500 calorie a day.
My exercise is about an hour including walking 12-20 mins, stretching 5 mins and lifting weight 35 minutes.

I increased my Victoza to 3.0 mg to fight off increased hunger with increased exercise.
 I have not been hungry even though cutting down on popcorn and pistachio snacks.
Still eating Yogurt Lite and Lively 80 calories.
Yesterday I have 4 oz wine and a 3 oz Vodka martini.  The Bon Vivant Diet

I think the reason I don't gain weight on 2,500 calories despite having
the Sponge syndrome is that I take INVOKANA for DM2
and urinate 500 calories a day.

Nutritional ketosis is thought to decrease hunger. I believe this is well documented for VLCD (very low calorie diet) 800 calories/d for first 8 months

However once the weight is lost but not the number of fat cells, leptin makes it very difficult to not gain weight with ghrelin causing hunger.

The high protein also helps fight hunger and a good guide is 30 g protein for breakfast, lunch and dinner for a total of 90 grams.
I suggest (if you need it) a Premium Clear Protein Drink of 20 g of protein for morning and afternoon snack which is another 40 grams of protein.
That is a high protein diet (130 g) excellent for weight lifting to prevent muscle loss.
I try to lift weights everyday.
Upper body on even days and Lower body on odd days.
I am working my way up to 3 sets.
I do 25 repetitions with each weight. I use low weights to do this.  Cuts down on injury.  I try to experience a burn in the muscle on the last three reps.

I don't push it.  I don't even break out into a sweat.  I am 66 years old.  It's good enough.  You can't outrun your fork.


Thus for the Reduced Obese with Sponge syndrome:
1-LCHF (which usually allows ad libitum diet and eating 500 calories less with less hunger)
2- High Protein (will satiate better than carbohyrates)
3- Nutritional ketosis (serum greater than 0.5 usually decreases appetite)
4- Exercise (Can't outrun your fork)

the above 4 items will not prevent weight regain
after a large weight loss
 due to the fact that the number of fat cells remain
with very low leptin levels.

I attribute the maintenance of 210 pounds (after70 lb. weight loss) for me to 5 diet medications I take. Still despite drugs and Ketosis of 1.9 I don't lose weight on 2,500 calories.


My four electrode point bioelectrical impedance scale prints out this data above.

It calculates that my Basal Metabolic rate is 1751 calories.
This means if I eat only 1700 calories a day, I should lose weight because I can subtract all the calories from activity.  Walk 5 miles a day I burn 500 calories, right? Wrong, low leptin causes your exercise metabolism to slow down 52% when you lose 10% weight.  That means for every mile I walk I only burn 48 calories.

The print out above following all the rules of a calorie is a calorie states my moderate exercise (42 minutes?) allows me to eat 2626 calories a day without gaining weight.

I do eat around 2,500 calories a day.  I did get down to 199 pounds on less calories.

With Invokana we can say I take in 2,100 calories a day.  I do this because I am not hungry.  LCHF is ad libitum, correct.  I have gone from 199 to 212 pounds. By calculation I can eat 2632 calories a day without gaining weight, but I have gained weight thanks to the Sponge syndrome and drugs, ketosis, high protein have not prevented it.

The problem of maintaining weight loss has not been totally solved which is why I broke through my plateau for only at short time at 199 pounds.

With medications I am not hungry on 2,500 calories a day.

But to lose weight need to get my calorie intake to about 1,800 calorie a day.

I guess I could stop the daily wine and martini.  Nah.

What I will do is start Actos 15 mg a day to help my insulin resistance.

I expect to gain 10 pounds of water on the new pill.

It will be interesting to see if my BIA reflects only water gain.

Actos supposedly moves the central fat (unhealthy) to periphery (healthy)?

My scale does measure visceral fat so we will see.










No comments:

Post a Comment

update trials of Alzheimers

 The best part of the day is when I have a bowel movement.   Recently started Miralax. I found MOM too harsh. Pacing helps but I get exhaust...