Thursday, June 9, 2016

How to treat adaptive thermogenesis in the reduced obese


Reduced obese brain responding to low Leptin
 2 minute 53 second video

 This is why diet and exercise maintains weight loss in very few of the reduced obese.
About 10,000 people are self-reported to have maintained weight loss long term in National Weight Control Registry

Dr  David Ludwig in Always Hungry? 2016
on page 204 writes in the chapter Lose Weight Permanently:
"After a few months of optimal eating, improved sleep, stress reduction, and regular physical activities, some people can begin again with a clean slate and tolerate moderate amounts of these foods."
"Others may find that any amount of proceeded carbohydrates triggers carvings or other symptoms, setting the stage for weight regain." (emphasis mine)
I tried to treat my reduced obese state with Atkins diet.  It was a partial success.  I stopped gaining weight.

Dr. Louis J Aronne in The Change Your Biology Diet  2016
on page 137:
 


 I quoted the above article in The Tubby Traveler from Topeka on page 138
 After I wrote these words I watched this video in 2012 from
HBO Weight of the Nation


I tried to treat my reduced obese state with 2.5 hours of exercise a day as per guidelines but I ate ad libitum. (I later learned more exercise only works in context of 1500 calorie/d diet)  I ate low glycemic fruit between meals. I gained 1.5 pounds a month till I gained 50 pounds and switched to Atkins.

On Atkins I continued to eat ad libitum.  I did not gain weight despite decreasing my exercise to walking 20 to 40 minutes a day.

A big change occurred when I changed my medications and added
Invokana, Victoza and Qsymia.  
I did not change my ad libitum Adkins diet or my 20-40 minute walk a day but on diet medications I did eat less.  This program did not feel restrictive to me since I was accustomed to Atkins since 2011 and I drank alcohol.

Thus with respect to my Professors I must say their approach will work for very few people.

The key is to treat the brain with diet medication when the reduced obese are in a state of leptin deficiency.  We must fool their leptin deprived brain that they are not starving.

Diet might do it for some insulin resistant people but I was in nutritional ketosis and thus on very low carbohydrates, exercised every day, was retired with low stress and slept very well.  I clearly fell into the other group Dr. Ludwig talks about.

After losing 80 pounds and exercising 2 hours a day I was reached 200 pounds.  My body thought I was starving.  My sympathetic nervous shut down on me.  I was cold all the time.  70% of resting metabolism is from the brain, kidneys and liver and other organs.  Exercise does not make an impact. At 5'11" I believe I should lose another 10 pounds.  I did not "reach the new lower set point" that Dr. Ludwig talks about on page 204 , first paragraph.
My body would not permit it and almost immediately when I relaxed my intense diet and exercise efforts I gained a quick 10 pounds at a low calorie count and a good amount of daily exercise.  (please read NYT Biggest Loser)


Dr Aronne taught me how to use the diet medications.
Dr Ludwig has written articles that are scientific breakthroughs.

However, I will start my Obesity Clinic on Tues and follow the plan in the video below. 
 Even most Bariatric surgery patients need diet medications to prevent regain. 

2 min 54 second video

No comments:

Post a Comment

update trials of Alzheimers

 The best part of the day is when I have a bowel movement.   Recently started Miralax. I found MOM too harsh. Pacing helps but I get exhaust...