Sunday, February 24, 2019

Lerwick, Shetland Islands

  I visited the Shetland Islands in August 2015 on a cruise.  I became interested again after watching the TV series Shetland series 4 link called Hinterlands.

"Modern Shetlanders have almost identical proportions of Scandinavian matrilineal and patrilineal genetic ancestry, suggesting that the islands were settled by both men and women in equal measure."  Also true for Orkney Islands. 

I find the Viking genetics in United Kingdom to be very interesting.  

Interestingly, much of the TV series is not taken in Shetland.  The characters do have a Scottish accent.  

I don't remember much of my visit there.  I have studied my photos to see what I remember.  I remember the ponies and the historical site called Jarlshof. 

Photos of Lerwick, Shetland, Scotland










Jarlshof historic remnants link













No comments:

Post a Comment

update trials of Alzheimers

 The best part of the day is when I have a bowel movement.   Recently started Miralax. I found MOM too harsh. Pacing helps but I get exhaust...