Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Critique of Kevin Hall's article on weight loss maintenance


My full detailed critique  link here

Short review below of Kevin Hall's article link

Maintenance of lost weight and long-term management of obesity
Kevin D. Hall, Ph.D.1 and Scott Kahan, M.D., MPH2,3
I agree except for bullet three.  Best long term trial (10 YEARS)failed. Gary Foster on LOOK AHEAD trial link

Again LOOK AHEAD failed to achieve it's Primary outcome on cardiac goals. 

I don't argue there are many benefits to weight loss.  I question if the benefit remains if you gain much of the back in 5 to 10 years

Finally Kevin gets to what I think is the solution


"5-For patients with BMI greater than 30 kg/m2
(or 27–30 kg/m2
with obesity-related comorbid conditions),
obesity pharmacotherapy
leads to as much as 15% weight loss
in responders,
with weight loss being maintained
in several studies for several years 9092."







No comments:

Post a Comment

update trials of Alzheimers

 The best part of the day is when I have a bowel movement.   Recently started Miralax. I found MOM too harsh. Pacing helps but I get exhaust...