Tuesday, September 10, 2019

Celebratory photos of finally visiting Prague 9- 2019


Traveling with Alzheimers has improved a great deal since we arrived in Berlin about a week ago.  
Today was Day 6 of the Eastern European G Adventures tour. 
Traveling with G Adventures reminds me of my younger days when I did everything independently.


The first hotel in Berlin while on G adventures was the Titanic hotel, which the guide said was a step up from the original reservation.  The room seemed smaller than a cruise cabin. 
The air conditioner did not work well. 
The hotel buffet was pretty good for breakfast. 
Then the G Adventure pretty much cut us loose. 
He would tell us the good places to visit and how to get there.  
Ginger and I attached ourselves to four Canadian travelers as they had used the Berlin subway already and seemed to know what they were doing. 
To my surprise I ended up being the leader of the group in directing the way. 

I was invigorated to find that I could figure out the subways in Berlin and then the directions on the surface.  Ginger and I had been sheltered by cruises and had few worries once we put the luggage on the ship. We would pay for the expensive cruise tours to be ensured the ship would not leave without us.  It was simply paying for insurance. 

Now I had a great time doing it independently. 
The G adventure tour guy was a very nice person and tried to be very helpful but he could not anticipate the variables that changed as we traveled.  He didn't  know the train did not run to the Sophie palace and that we had to take a bus after the train.
I never felt compromised by my Alzheimer's disease.
With the group of Canadians who were in their 60's I had the support I needed to make decisions.

Our guide was more of a facilitator than a guide or more of a concierge at a bad hotel. 

By the time we arrived in Prague yesterday I knew I did not want the challenge of the subways or finding our way to addresses. 
Instead I asked the guide to get us a private tour by car. 
Much better.  However I don't think the private tour guide understood half my English.   It was frustrating. 
Still we only ending up walking 5,000 steps during the car tour compared to the 18,000 steps daily we were doing on our own. 

Some highlights today in Prague.
















2 comments:

  1. Sweet! Great pictures!! Glad you and Ginger are having a great time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry for late replies. Thanks for you interest and remarks.

      Delete

update trials of Alzheimers

 The best part of the day is when I have a bowel movement.   Recently started Miralax. I found MOM too harsh. Pacing helps but I get exhaust...