Sunday, March 3, 2019

Orkney Islands, Scotland


I have been to the Orkney Islands twice. 
First time I took a bus tour from Aviemore, Scotland.  We had a beautiful sunny day.  The tour guide said we were very lucky as they only have a couple of days like this. 

The second time I visited via cruise.  It was overcast.  I only visited the capital, Kirkwall, which is the largest town and capital of the Orkney Islands. 
The town is first mentioned in the Orkneyinga saga in the year 1046.

On my first trip to Orkney on an extensive bus tour of the Island I was very impressed by Skara Brae.
It  is Northern Europe's most complete Neolithic village.  Consisting of eight clustered houses, it was occupied from roughly 3180 BC to about 2500 BC.

Also impressive was the Ring of Brodgar which is a henge and stone circle.

The Ring of Brodgar was thought to be erected between 2500 BC and 2000 BC.

No comments:

Post a Comment

update trials of Alzheimers

 The best part of the day is when I have a bowel movement.   Recently started Miralax. I found MOM too harsh. Pacing helps but I get exhaust...