Sunday, November 15, 2020

The Love of Dogs

 I have been fortunate in my life to have three dogs that I loved.  

The first was an English Bulldog that my parents purchased when I came back at 19 years old after a summer in Europe.

I came home vitamin deficient and tired.  I laid with the puppy on the couch for two days.  I think this bonded the dog for the rest of my life.

I lived with my parents and walked to Brooklyn College each morning.  My Dad took care of Suzie but she lived for me to come home.  My Dad would feed Suzie each day and yet when I was in my room Suzie waited outside my door for me.  Unrequited love. I loved Suzie but her love for me was unconditional. 

Dogs teach about love.  

My next great dog was an English Springer Spaniel.  

This was the type of dog I always wanted.  Even as a puppy she would just follow me as we walked. I never needed a leash. I took hikes with him following me.  We would come to a fork in the trail and he would look back at me and wait for me to point which trail to take.  This was a true boy and his dog love relationship even though I was middle age.

My present dog is just as great a love but I clearly love my Newfoundland more than she loves me.  She is 125 pounds and is a rescue dog.  She is my wife's dog.  She follows her all around the house.  I fell in love with her. She is the perfect dog for an older couple.  She sleeps all day.  She is not needy.  She does not beg at the dinner table.  She knows our boundaries and doesn't whine.  She rarely barks.  She is the sweetest dog with children and loves all people.  




No comments:

Post a Comment

update trials of Alzheimers

 The best part of the day is when I have a bowel movement.   Recently started Miralax. I found MOM too harsh. Pacing helps but I get exhaust...