Thursday, January 21, 2021

How will I know if my Alzheimer's is getting worse?

3 years two months since my AZ was diagnosed and things are better than can be expected. 

How can I measure if my Alzheimer’s is getting worse?

Jan. 21, 2021


Today was full of accomplishments.  

1- It took me a month to finally call AAA to change my car battery. 

2- Today I drove for the first time since Jan. 20, 2020.  

3- I picked up a prescription at the drive through. 

4- I went to get my blood work. 


I still have some items I have procrastinated for a long time to get done.   

Get my scale fixed. First attempt failed. 

Get Best Buy to return the DVD I sent in to be fixed a year ago.


This past month has been full of political news.  Yesterday I watched more of the Presidential Inauguration than ever before in my life.  I know more about politics now than ever before.  Of course I remember very little of what I learned in college after reading the Federalist Papers. 


Hence, on some levels I am smarter than I was when my diagnosis of AZ was made in December 2017.


I have actually done better on my MOCA (Montreal Cognitive Assessment).  I made up my own test that I failed everyday, the TOCA (Topeka Cognitive Assessment that I fail everyday.  I wrote about it in my last book.  For example, what are we having for dinner?


I do think I am slowly and mildly getting worse but it is very difficult to quantify.  My wife agrees with this. 

I decided to choose things I do well and see when I no longer can do them.  

1-Taking my 15 medicines and supplements. 

2- Driving

3- Cooking breakfast and lunch for myself. 

4- Making my evening cocktail which involves several steps.  Manhattan and Old Fashioned. 

5- Getting lost on my walk


I am now hopeful I can maintain my present mental state for another three years.  We just made plans to go to Europe for two months.


No comments:

Post a Comment

update trials of Alzheimers

 The best part of the day is when I have a bowel movement.   Recently started Miralax. I found MOM too harsh. Pacing helps but I get exhaust...