Saturday, January 2, 2021

Happy New 2021

 I have great optimism for next year despite my being in the fourth year of having Alzheimer's. 

I decided to not get my teeth cleaned on Weds.  Seems silly to risk an invasive procedure with the vaccine soon to be available.

I read a very interesting Case 41-2020 in NEJM: A 62-year-old man with memory loss and odd behavior. 

It demonstrates that not all dementia is Alzheimer's but AZ is the most common cause of dementia. 

Also shows the importance of psychological evaluation.  

It's interesting that with all the lab testing many of the tests I had in Dr. Bredesin's cognoscopy were not done or at least not reported. 

Massachusetts General Hospital goes through a differential diagnosis of rare causes of dementia.

1- Vascular brain disease

2- Obstructive Sleep 

3- Huntington's disease

4- Lewy body dementia

5- Tauopathies (such as progressive supranuclear palsy)

6- White matter disease such as Multiple Sclerosis

7- Slow-growing tumors such as meningiomas. 

8- Pituitary tumors invading suprasellar structures

9- Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus

10- Infections such as HIV, syphilis

11- Prior disease such as Creutzfedt-Jacob disease

12- Spontaneous intracranial hypotension can cause Frontotemporal brain sagging syndrome. 

13- Hashimoto's encephalopathy 


The diagnosis is Frontotemporal lobar degeneration consistent with Picks Disease. 








This study has great scans and covers cognitive testing in detail.

Finally, the diagnosis is confirmed with brain autopsy and biopsy.





No comments:

Post a Comment

update trials of Alzheimers

 The best part of the day is when I have a bowel movement.   Recently started Miralax. I found MOM too harsh. Pacing helps but I get exhaust...