Sunday, August 18, 2019

I choose not to struggle but I choose to have fun.

#2 on review of movie: I'm Still Here, Alice.

The movie, I'm Still Here, Alice, is about a fictional character.
I was very disappointed when I finally figured it out.
I should have known as there were incongruities in the character of Alice.
The author is telling us her version of what she thinks having early onset Alzheimers is about.

She does not follow the old saw, "The Alzheimer's patient doesn't suffer, the family does."

Even in the movie, the family does not suffer a great deal.
Difficult decisions are made but most of the family moves on with it's regular life.
Husband moves to new opportunity in his career in Chicago. Prodigal daughter returns to live with and care for Mom in the old home.

In the movie Alice says she is "not suffering, she is struggling"

No doubt this quote speaks much more to the truth than the old saw mentioned above. 

However, to struggle is a choice for a Alzheimers patient.

An except from the YEAR TWO book that I am writing now illustrates this on a review of the Pat Summitt Book.

I gave Pat Summitt's book, Sum It Up only two stars because I believe her approach is the exact opposite what a patient should do when they learn they have Alzheimer's. 
Don't fight. Have fun. Don’t struggle each day trying to improve memory struggling with word or math games. 














Instead I was told to have fun.  

I have a challenge with daily living coping with a poor short term memory.

As with people with terrible physical incapacities, they learn how to cope with their disability.

Blindness must be the worst.  I suspect the most suicide occurs in this group?

I accepted (as with many illnesses), there is no cure. I moved on to have a good life from which Alzheimers did not prevent me from having.

This why I am writing a yearly account of my Alzheimers.


No comments:

Post a Comment

update trials of Alzheimers

 The best part of the day is when I have a bowel movement.   Recently started Miralax. I found MOM too harsh. Pacing helps but I get exhaust...