Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Bad day in Paradise. Maybe this is why Alzheimer's patients should not travel?



Link to easier to read article with my comments

Dementia Personality Changes Require Caring and Adjustment by the Caregiver link
to original article.

My comments in purple. 
One excerpt:

As Alzheimer’s makes the brain less functional over time, your loved one will inevitably have both good days and bad days as gradual changes in behavior occur.
It is curious in timing that I had a very bad day yesterday due to stress when I realized I was going to run out of Namzaric while on vacation in the next 30 days. I was terrified as my neurologist said a lapse of medication could cause a rapid deterioration of mentation.  I spent the morning by myself trying to rectify the situation. I was at the Paradise Island timeshare and my wife and daughter were asleep. I looked up pharmacies on google on Nassau. 
I would have to cross the bridge to get to one.  I didn’t have a car and a taxi was $50 round trip.
Thus I walked to the resort front desk and found a wonderful lady who took care of me.  She called a couple of pharmacies to see if they had Namzaric. They did have Aricept. I knew that was the important component in early stage Alzheimers.  However my Doctor could not call it in from the states. We had to find a Doctor. The lady called the Main Hospital walk in center but they suggested we use the Doctor who visits Paradise Island.  She tracked down where the Bahamian Doctor would on our island, The lady told me I would need cash. I asked how much? She suggested I bring $500 just to be certain. We took the golf cart back to my room and I went up to the room to find my wife and daughter eating breakfast.  I told them the story. My wife got the money. The lady drove me to the oldest part of the resort where there was a medical clinic. I waited about 90 minutes to be seen. The Doctor was lovely and after five minutes she wrote the prescription for Aricept 10mg (10 pills)  it was $84. They did not have generic. I wanted 30 pills but that cost $240. I will be in Germany next week and I thought I would have better luck there. 
I felt great relief that I fixed the problem.  However the hours of stress continued to cost a toll on me for the rest of the day which would not be relieved by some ice cream that I almost never eat anymore.  
I really craved some alcohol but I wanted to go dry this week in Paradise island.  The craving was worse than my usual hunger. I remained anxious and stressed the rest of the day despite a long walk.  Finally after a good dinner I felt better.  
The lady from the front desk went to get my medicine and delivered it to me that night. 
Marcie was an angel.

No comments:

Post a Comment

update trials of Alzheimers

 The best part of the day is when I have a bowel movement.   Recently started Miralax. I found MOM too harsh. Pacing helps but I get exhaust...