Sunday, August 25, 2019

Should a Alzheimer's patient pursue a path towards joyful fullfilment?


Letter from a friend.


Letter in Blue
My comments in Black


I suggest to you Bruce, that you read Choose fun not struggling.  link

Then I ask you why  to have  fun rather than be frustrated at struggling.  
Why can't having fun not be fulfillment? My question to you Bruce. 

Bruce's letter
The spiritual journey and the meaning of Christianity are much on mind.  I am doing some writing on that.  Brian, you have said that you are on the Christian journey as well (so also Bill and Mark). 
 Consider this, as you write in your living with Alzheimer's book, that people living with Alzheimer's should choose Fun. 
I propose a different word - 'choose fulfillment'.  Much broader and deeper.  

I have thought that the fourth book would have the title: An Alzheimers patient trying to have a meaningful life. 




Bruce's letter

The spiritual journey and the meaning of Christianity are much on mind.  I am doing some writing on that.  Brian, you have said that you are on the Christian journey as well (so also Bill and Mark). 
 Consider this, as you write in your living with Alzheimer's book, that people living with Alzheimer's should choose Fun. 
I propose a different word - 'choose fulfillment'.  Much broader and deeper.  


I have thought that the fourth book would have the title: An Alzheimers patient trying to have a meaningful life.  By my forth year in the disease, I will be shocked if I can pursue a meaningful life.  However I am able to finish YEAR FOUR of having Alzheimer's. I think that means I did have a meaningful life with Alzheimers. 

I think that is what Brian has chosen! 
  He is not simply traveling the world and living with maximum indulgence. 
I think I am seeking "fulfillment"  but that word suggests effort towards a goal?  Stressful? 
Maximum indulgence, what do you think you think I do.  No coke, prostitutes or gambling yet.
 Actually, he writes about his battle with obesity, and now with early Alzheimer's, writing for his own benefit but also for the benefit of others.  Brian actually works pretty hard, offering to people what he has learned in his considerable medical studies. 
My work creating tweets, blogs and books is not work, it is pure satisfaction that I was able to do it. 

So Brian, I suggest you talk more of fulfillment...  from travel, time with family and friends, to writing for some, playing music, to finding a rewarding place to volunteer, to advocating for the less fortunate...  each person finds the path of the joyful fulfillment, within the grand scheme of God.  
Path of joyful fulfillment in the face of a terminal disease such as Alzheimers is usually associated with the idea that I am going to beat this disease.  Pointless.  I don't plan to volunteer. I have my writing and studying to do which I fill very fulfilling.  I am already paying it forward by participating 

     Overarching it all is the Christian promise of life beyond death.  So that is my answer to your quote from the rock group Queen. 
 No, I don't think I would choose this earthly life forever - or would we be forever 25 years old? Nahhhh.   Gotta be something different.     Fulfillment, joy, love...  Brian, you are demonstrating your path of fulfillment, a great message to share with others.  

Thanks Bruce, I appreciate and enjoyed your letter. 
I quote "Who wants to live forever" by Queen is to remind me we all die. 
 Alzheimers may not be the worse way to die. 
 In fact it is an opportunity to find your path of joyful fulfillment now rather than later. 

2 comments:

  1. In one of your blog comments you quoted the following:
    ...."Do Sudoku and crosswork puzzles, Pursue a path to joyful fulfillment. Have fun. Pursue a meaningful life". That is very close to what I said in my comments above. I simply added that as Christians I believe that informs what we mean by fulfillment and meaningful life.
    I think that you have understood what I intended. I find it very interesting and wonderful that for you, the considerable work involved in writing - even books - is not work for you. It is pleasure for you, and I too find joy and fulfillment in doing things that I find meaningful, though occasionally I do have to push myself to act. So it is sometimes like work...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why did my name not appear on entry. This is Bruce.

    ReplyDelete

update trials of Alzheimers

 The best part of the day is when I have a bowel movement.   Recently started Miralax. I found MOM too harsh. Pacing helps but I get exhaust...