Monday, August 26, 2019

I came out about my Alzheimer's


At first I hesitated about telling people about my diagnosis of Alzheimers disease.
I wanted to tell people in person.  I wanted to see the reaction and answer their questions.
Usually they were surprised and couldn't believe I have Alzheimers.
I am sure they were trying to be reassuring.
One friend I told seemed to not know what to say and simply said "I'm sorry."
I understand, I found it difficult to tell families that a relative died.

Close family did not understand why I didn't tell my friends.
I wanted my friends to be a barometer of the progress of my disease.
20 months after my diagnosis, no one came to my wife and Ginger and ask if I was having problems.
I would tell people I was having memory problems but they assumed that was normal aging.
I also told them my math was worse and recognizing landmarks was worse.

I was happy to discover my that I knew my way around Atlantis, Paradise Island.  We had not been here for five years but I could find all my favorite spots.  My wife didn't remember.

It's a good reason to come back here in two years to see if I continue to remember.


Last month I decided it was time to tell a list of 24 friends on email.
Surprisingly only about 4 people responded.
Either they don't read my email when I include them in a list or they did not know what to say.
I ask them not to call me but write me an email with questions.
Better yet, I requested they follow my twitters which would direct them to my blogs.
Again only about two people agreed to do this.
Social media is a good way for me to engage people and keep my mind active.

Telling people that you have Alzheimers is a personal decision.
I decided there was no shame in having the disease.

However I did not want pity visits.

I published my book I am waiting for when I forget I have Alzheimers in Feb 2018.
Still none of my friends noticed.
I didn't tell them about the book.
I came out on twitter and my blog a few months ago and still no one noticed.
I made a response to a facebook post with a link to my book.
Two people wrote me and asked if I had Alzheimers.
At last.

Not very satisfying to an author who is trying to reach a tipping point with his book.

I still have not come out on facebook.
I will wait till I publish YEAR TWO next Feb 2020.



No comments:

Post a Comment

update trials of Alzheimers

 The best part of the day is when I have a bowel movement.   Recently started Miralax. I found MOM too harsh. Pacing helps but I get exhaust...