Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Third review of On Pluto

 I have read page 341.

Last pg is 364. 

Time to write the Third review of 

On Pluto by Greg O'Brien.

This is a good book. 

I was a little critical at first because of his use of stories from other sources to be funny or illustrate his points.  Most of which I have heard before.

Probably I am jealous of all his contacts.  

He even name drops people from his childhood in Rye, NY. 

This book is long because it is an autobiography. 

Again his life is much more interesting than mine. 

I don't have one tenth of his friends. 

I know he is making a context which is fine. 

The chapter that won me over was the one written by his wife, Mary Catherine McGeorge O'Brien. 

Chapter 24 page 329 to 341.

This chapter is amazing and I hope my wife will read it. 

"Ironically, Alzheimers now is starting to heal our marriage."

Hopeful words for my wife and I.

                          

In chapter 23,  Greg O'brien puts his investigative reporting skills in action describing how 12 different Alzheimer patients he knows dealt with their Alzheimers.  Very well written and the title, "which one of you nuts has any guts".   A quote taken from One Flew over the Cuckoo's nest" but very apt. 


I love his historical references because some of them I was not well acquainted with.

Sports references are likewise fun for me and because I heard them for the first.

Popular TV and Movie culture not so much as they were very familiar to me as well as his jokes that I have heard before. 

I quess I am being a tough critic.  Again probably jealousy as he has gotten so much attention. 

When I finish the book soon I will write a book review for Amazon.

I will say this book as done a great service for me. 

It is the only book written in the first person that informs me what to expect as I advance from Early Alzheimers to Moderate Alzheimers. 

The hopeful news is similar to him I will be able to write and talk.  

One thing I will do different I will take stronger drugs for depression if needed. I am doing well with Citalopam 40 mg.  He only takes 20 mg.

If I had his level of rage I would definitely take stronger drugs.  I know I would not want to put my wife through that and she would not tolerate it.  I would be in a nursing home. 


I have more rage than ever but I have never acted out as he has.  

I also listen to the people around me telling me what to do.  

As his wife says, he is an asshole. No humor or jealousy involved.

I gave up my lisence to practice medicine and decreased my driving. 

He continued working and puts himself in impossible situtations which cause him great stress. 

I try to avoid stress.  

Stress is not good for Alzheimers. 

Distress causes decreased judgement, anxiety and depression. 

I will have a cocktail after an argument with my wife to relieve the stress. 

Ashwagandha has helped me as well. 

He says he is taking supplements but he doesn't say which ones other than what Dr Rudolph Tanzi advises.  






No comments:

Post a Comment

update trials of Alzheimers

 The best part of the day is when I have a bowel movement.   Recently started Miralax. I found MOM too harsh. Pacing helps but I get exhaust...