Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Fourth yearly MRI for non-treatment Alzheimers trial.

 Third MRI for AZ trial link August 2020


Today I had my fourth MRI in four years for a scientific trial (non-treatment) that I entered 8 months after my diagnosis of Alzheimers was made in December 2017. 

Last year I had QT prolongation on my EKG.

Subsequently my PET Tau scan was cancelled as dictated in the protocol. 

FDA approved drug used in Tau Pet scans link


“While there are FDA approved imaging drugs for amyloid pathology, this is the first drug approved for imaging tau pathology, one of the two neuropathological hallmarks of Alzheimer's disease, and represents a major advance for patients with cognitive impairment being evaluated for the condition.”

I was told the trial would start doing the Tau Pet scan with me next year.

My trial also reaffirmed with me that I was still willing to donate my brain for autopsy.  

I have never gotten the results of any of my Tau Pet Scans. 

While I remain in Mild Cognitive Impairment I will continue to the yearly scans.  When I get worse with moderate Alzheimers I will get a scan every two years.

It took me a while to get a neurologist to do a MRI on me on Feb 2017 link.

My trial mistakenly sent me the results of my first research MRI in Aug 2018.  I was impressed it showed I have normal volume in my hippocampus. 



Last month I asked if could get another Volumetric MRI of the brain where I could see the results.  My neurologist said it is not available in private practice.

So the MRI I had today I will never know the results of.  My brain autopsy results will be given about one year after my death.  

In Dr. Dale Bredesen's patients he has gotten follow up hippocampal MRI's in his patients to show they had restored their hippocamus to normal volume after they shrunk by the ReCode therapy.


Neuraceq 2014 approved to scan for Amyloid in Brain link

Last year  Tauvid (flortaucipir F18) used to look for Tau was passed. 

 Tauvid (flortaucipir F18) for intravenous injection, the first drug used to help image a distinctive characteristic of Alzheimer’s disease in the brain called tau pathology. 

Alzheimers will become epidemic in the next couple decades. 

It will probably bankrupt Medicare. 

Perhaps with early diagnosis people will do what seems to slow AZ advance?

However the issue must be made a priority by allowing Neuraceq and Tauvid scans covered for the elderly. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

update trials of Alzheimers

 The best part of the day is when I have a bowel movement.   Recently started Miralax. I found MOM too harsh. Pacing helps but I get exhaust...