Friday, August 13, 2021

My first review of On Pluto by Greg O'Brien

I finished reading up to page 163 of On Pluto by Greg O'Brien that I had to stop and start a review.


Part one of review. 

At this point I have to be harsh in my review. 

No question he is a much better writter than me. 

I hesitated to buy his book as I thought it might be too dark after I read

a dark quote Mr O'Brien wrote about his present condition. 

In 2018 when he revised his book, On Pluto, his Alzheimers was much more advanced than mine is now.  

I wanted to see what to expect for myself for the future. 

One good point he confirms from Gibbs book Tattoo on my Brian is that I can still do intellectual activities if I have a good Cognitive reserve. 

He says it takes him 40 minutes to write what did take him 5 minutes. 

I suspect his is still trying to maintain high or perfect standards in his writing.  

That's his first mistake. 

I feel I can be judgemental as I am in Year Four of my Alzheimers. 

Don't sacrifice the good for the perfect. 

No one expects perfect in Alzheimers. 

The second mistake was to not curb his activites earlier in recognition of his Alzheimers. 

He writes about many bad outcomes trying to convince himself that he can continue as normal without consequences. 


Once I had my diagnosis I let my medical licensce lapse. 

I purchased a much safer Subaru Outback car and  my wife started driving most of the time. 

The third mistake was he continued his job.

Living a lie is very stressful.

Having a job and then covering up your Alzheimers lapses would have been impossible for me.  For me a very important part in dealing with my Alzheimers is avoiding stress.  With stress I get anxious and depressed. See pages 80, 81 and 82. 

Fourth mistake was to keep riding a bike. p 127

After his head injury from a bike ride he writes:

"Little did I know I had released a monster." 



The fifth most severe mistake that affected his family was thinking he could make major decisions about the care of his parents. 

He has Alzheimers yet when the family comes to the moment of whether to put his mother in a nursing home and the split vote comes down to him making the decision, he decided to keep her in her home with him.  

p 126 

"Confusion gave way to chaos. Mom began putting garbage into the trunk of her car..

I got angry at this point. 

I worked in nursing homes as a Geriatric Doctor.

My wife worked as a nursing home administrator. 

Family cannot do a good job of taking care of Alzheimers 24/7.

The stress will cause them to abuse the people they are taking care of.

Later Mr O'Brien proves my point on p. 139 when he yells at his father on his death bed:

"SO WHY DON'T YOU TRY NOW TO DIE WITH SOME DIGNITY , DAD, AND TAKE CARE OF MOM ALONG THE WAY."

 

p 136 "Dr Robert Harmon saw that my mother was moving from mid s stage Alzheimers to End Stage, called for family intervention.'

Author writes 'deep into confusion myself and quietly questioning my logic I cast the deciding vote to, Mom and Dad would stay at their home"

SIXTH MISTAKE: NOT SHARING HIS CONCERNS WITH HIS WIFE.

With Alzheimers it is essential to share the emotional with your wife. 

P 140 "I never confided in Mary Catherine (his wife) about this."

 








No comments:

Post a Comment

update trials of Alzheimers

 The best part of the day is when I have a bowel movement.   Recently started Miralax. I found MOM too harsh. Pacing helps but I get exhaust...