Sunday, August 15, 2021

Second review of On Pluto

Second review of on On Pluto by Greg O'Brien.  

Prior Harsh review link

This time I will post what I think Greg O'Brien got right. 

1- Exercise. 

Author says it recharges his brain.

He does a great deal of running. 

I suspect it's one of the main reasons he is hanging on with Moderate severe Alzheimers. 

He does seem to pay a price with subsequent body pain.  Pain causes distress and this is not a friend to the AZ brain. 


2- Medications p23

This is the only AZ book that at the beginning of the book discusses the usual medications for AZ.

Aricept

Namenda

Trazadone to help him sleep

Celexa (citalopram) 20 mg:

 An antidepressant for his rage, which considering how bad his rage I can't believe he is not on 40 mg which I take. 


3- Socialization

Mr. O'brien has a lot of friends that he stays in touch with and gets good support.


4- Hard drive 'memory palace' on office wall p14

"They paint word pictures. Everywhere there are historical, FRAMED front page stories and magazine covers. 

My memory palace to remember my family link

Memory is not what it is cracked out to  link


5- Supplements p193

I have only read to page 217 so far.

I don't know which specific supplements he takes. 

The list below is what his Alzheimers Doctor advises:

Tru-Niagen

Percepta

Vegan Omega 3

Quercetin

Fiscetin

TUDCA

Ashwaghada

Vitamin D3

Methyl B12 plus

Coenzyme Q (especially if on a statin)

Selenium 

Nordic Natural Probiotic plus prebiotic


7-Religion/Faith

This is a good strategy when faced with death.

Raised as a Roman Catholic the author draws strenght, solace and some tranquility from his faith


8/ Sleep 7-8 hours a night

9/ Great discipline with memory helpers on his phone and gmail. 

10/ Author writes 2 hours every night. 

I also try to write in my blog and twitter everyday. 

I feel great gratification when I can write a good thread on twitter or a good blog.  I encorporate my blogs into my last 3 books on my AZ which I document in diary form. I am now working on my Year 4 book.  

The author and the author of Tattoo on my Brian both taught me about cognitive reserve which will hopefully allow me to continue my writing even as I enter moderate alzheimers. 









           



No comments:

Post a Comment

update trials of Alzheimers

 The best part of the day is when I have a bowel movement.   Recently started Miralax. I found MOM too harsh. Pacing helps but I get exhaust...