Friday, July 12, 2019

My Alzheimer's physician is a scientist working on lipoic acid metabolism in mitochondria

 When Dr. Swerdlow told me yesterday that he works in the lab a great deal at Kansas University Medical Center I recalled this tweet from Dr Thomas Dayspring.



"Alpha-lipoic acid or ALA is a naturally occurring compound that's made in the body. It serves vital functions at the cellular level, such as energy production. ... Advocates of ALA make claims that range from beneficial effects for treating conditions such as diabetes and HIV to enhancing weight loss."Feb 17, 2019 wiki

Dr. Swerdlow taught me that the mitochondria is only place in body that does lipoic acid metabolism.

This is an area that he is very interested in.

I asked him how statins affect mitochondria.

Dr. Swerdlow responded "not so well".

Dr. Swerdlow's review  link to full article.
Abstract below.



This is Dr. Dayspring's link below

 2019 Jul 1;104(7):2501-2508. doi: 10.1210/jc.2018-01185.

Statin Treatment Decreases Mitochondrial Respiration But Muscle Coenzyme Q10 Levels Are Unaltered: The LIFESTAT Study.


"CONCLUSION: 
Statin therapy appeared to impair mitochondrial complex-II-linked respiration, but the mitochondrial capacity for complex I+II-linked respiration remained intact.
 Myalgia was not coupled to reduced intramuscular CoQ10 levels. Intrinsic mitochondrial respiratory capacity was increased with statin-induced myalgia but not accompanied by increased ROS production."

No comments:

Post a Comment

update trials of Alzheimers

 The best part of the day is when I have a bowel movement.   Recently started Miralax. I found MOM too harsh. Pacing helps but I get exhaust...