Wednesday, July 1, 2020

Losing friends due to the easy anger from Alzheimers


Prior blog on anger link
This past week I hung up on my best friend during a phone conversation. 

I had called him about a twitter thread I had written which he had responded to.

I didn't understand his twitter response to my thread about predicting the future number of COVID deaths by Nov. 3. 

Calmly I finally figured out what his twitter was about. 





My mistake was to then analyze how he came to these numbers.
He said he agreed to follow me on facebook but he didn't sign on to an in depth study of this subject. 
I then began to get angry and it escalated quickly as he calmly was making excuses when I had already understood his position. 
He continued to explain his position in calm terms. 
I just hung up. 

I apologized the next day which he graciously accepted. 

I already lost another life long Brooklyn friend from High School days.  I was getting after him about getting surgery for his normal pressure hydrocephalus.
I wasn't anger but I was intense and told him I wish I could have surgery to help my Alzheimers. He stopped answering my calls. 
He told my other friend that I had disrespected him.

My neighbor and I got into a bad argument over my behavior at his Christmas party.  It was mostly my fault but again as he laid into me I gave it back to him in kind.   We stopped taking for two weeks but I  
bought him a bottle of scotch which he didn't want to accept but I said now you won't accept a gift from me at Christmas.  He relented and he took it.  We are friends again but we avoid discussing politics. 

So far I have successfully been very careful with my three adult children.

My wife and I are doing much better at not accelerating the heat of disagreements. 


























1 comment:

  1. I'm jotting down some thoughts and will email them tonight or tomorrow.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete

update trials of Alzheimers

 The best part of the day is when I have a bowel movement.   Recently started Miralax. I found MOM too harsh. Pacing helps but I get exhaust...