Thursday, May 28, 2020

How to get rid of the sudden flare anger you experience with Alzheimers

In my Episcopal Men's Group this morning we were talking about how importance forgiveness is for the world.

I shared my personal experience with having increased flare of anger with my Alzheimers.

Through life I always internalized feelings from bad (and good)  experiences to process my feelings in a rational method.  My therapist said I intellectualized them?

Now with my wife I am ashamed to say, I let her push my button simply by looking after me.
All that fussing accelerates my angry to a bad level and often she is tired and just addressing issues  that she believes are important.

Anger is a problem with Alzheimers.
I am still learning about it.
After my concussion I was more depressed and that was a problem for my anger control.
Frustration and Stress will bring anger out as well.
I try not to talk  to business people on the phone because they don't answer my question and go on a tangent.
I then speak louder and repeat my question.

I am doing much better now.
I try to be mindful to just accept her suggestions.
She is trying is disengage when she sees I am getting upset and louder.

In the group a man over 80 had a similar experience with a manager he knows well.
He wanted a refund for the month of gym membership, when the gym was closed during the COVID lockdown.
The manager asked why he was getting so loud after the manager said there was no refund.
The octogenarian didn't realize he appeared anger or was raising his voice.
He was chagrined as that is now how he acts in private or public.
He asked me if he had Alzheimers.
I said no.
I said you are just a grumpy old man.

Truth is who knows?
Should he bother with serial cognitive testing at his age?
His choice.

I suspect he has the memory loss associated with aging. 

Something new that I have not done.




I will try to find out if anyone in Kansas does the test.









3 comments:

  1. I found this to be very well written and truthful. Lots of stress with Alzheimers and dementia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. * "If we could only see ourselves as others see us"

    * "Frankly Charlotte, I don't give a damn."

    ReplyDelete

update trials of Alzheimers

 The best part of the day is when I have a bowel movement.   Recently started Miralax. I found MOM too harsh. Pacing helps but I get exhaust...