Thursday, July 30, 2020

Having the talk about when I need to be admitted to nursing home



My wife had a long career running different types of nursing homes. 

We talked about when she would no longer could take care of me. 

She  thinks she can't leave me at home by myself for six days.

She watched me walk down the hill with the dog and trying to keep up, I ended going faster and faster and the big dog caused me to step on the grass which threw me off balance.  She thought I was going to fall.  I didn't but I have fallen in the past. 
Once with a black eye. My first black eye link,
then my concussion link.

I still drive, still cook, still walk outside, I don't get anxious when she goes to her daughters for two days.  

When to move an Alzheimers patient to a home article link

1-Medication management 
I take 12 medications not counting several supplements.
I have a routine and rarely miss pills. 
I also call in my own prescriptions from my Doctor.

2- Mobility

3- Wandering
I take a mile walk each day.  
I take my iPhone with me.
I go in a circle, same route everyday.

4- Caregiver stress
I have told my wife I have no problem going to an Independent living facility if she feels I am too much for her to take care of. 
My biggest fear link 


5- Long distance caring

6-Rely on a plan not a promise


The Basic Living Skills assessment includes:
  • Self- Management.
  • My wife pays the bills and makes the travel arrangements.

  • Basic Communication.
  • I wear hearing aides but still need to ask people to repeat their sentence as their  syntax will confuse the message for me.  Previously I could infer what they meant as my intuition as always been good.
  • Dressing.
  • Twice I tried to put my shirt on as pants.  Didn't work and it took a while for me to figure it out.
  • Toileting.
  • Other than getting up five times a night to urinate.  Once I did pee in the corner of the room.
  • Grooming.
  • I cut the long hairs in my nose.  A real surgical procedure.  
  • Bathing.
  • No problems
  • Health, Safety, and First Aid.
  • I put my own band aides on.  I do finger sticks on myself for glucose and ketones each morning .
  • Nght-time Routines.
  • I checked my testosterone level recently it was extremely high and I had to stop testosterone immediately. Four months ago my dose was increased 40 mg but I was having trouble figuring how much to draw up with the syringe.  100 mg was easy as it was one half a cc. I was giving myself a shot in my butt.
  • I exercise each day.
  • I walk each day.
  • I stretch each day
  • I take my meds in AM and supplements in afternoon.


Activities of functional living skills (AFLS) Link















No comments:

Post a Comment

update trials of Alzheimers

 The best part of the day is when I have a bowel movement.   Recently started Miralax. I found MOM too harsh. Pacing helps but I get exhaust...