Wednesday, January 26, 2022

Letter from a friend in Australia asking for advice about AZ

Received all 4 books today and am now reading book two.
Thank you

Page79/81 re: Yet the essence of the person endures.  
Kindness is more important than truth.
Don't try to correct an AZ patient who is alive or dead in their life. 
Steer them away from the subject. 

Obviously stating the facts are upsetting to the Alzheimer’s patient.
Depends on the stage of their AZ.
It's similar to telling people the truth about their cancer.
I was taught never to use the word cancer to a patient. 
Doctor patriarchy is long past.  

Is it best to lie to them and how would you approach it?
If the diagnosis is early, best to be truthful so people can try to do something about their lifestyle and not give up hope. 
I never thought I would be writing my fifth book since my diagnosis.  
I can't point to one important thing that helped me.  
I can only give people choices to make for themselves as I compare different books. 

We have a friend Viv who is about to sell her home as she moved in several months ago with Mandy, her best friend.  Viv was having too many difficulties living on her own.  A couple of us are educating ourselves on the care and responses to Alzheimer in the hope we can both give Mandy(83) help or a break every once in awhile.  Viv (70) is very sweet natured but seems to be turning to the bottle lately to cope  with this devastating disease.  How do we deal with that?  Try to curtail her drinking or leave her alone?  DianeπŸ’•πŸ˜˜

It's tough. 
I think the distress you might cause her by taking the bottle away is worse than the alcohol.
I fell from alcohol and had a subdural.  Try to prevent that.  I have decreased my intake due to that. 
Avoid getting into arguments with her.  Change the subject etc.




No comments:

Post a Comment

update trials of Alzheimers

 The best part of the day is when I have a bowel movement.   Recently started Miralax. I found MOM too harsh. Pacing helps but I get exhaust...