Thursday, May 21, 2020

Small step for Mankind Big Step for Alzheimer's patient

These numbers are why we left Florida for Kansas 

Numbers from May 25, 2020








Account of our 2 day journey started on May 20 below: Mission Control we have landed in Topeka on schedule. 

Part II : Escape from Covid19  infested Florida to Kansas. 

I believe Mission Accomplished for an Alzheimer's patient. 

Trying times for everyone during this epidemic. 

Especially for my wife and I since I was diagnosed with AZ in 12/2017.

We made a detailed plan to return to Kansas.  
We SUCCEEDED!
We wanted to leave Florida before Hurricane season begins in June. We already had Hurricane Arthur pass by us. 

On Weds we woke up at 5:00 AM after a good night of sleep. 
We started our drive at 6:30 AM.


We drove 800 miles over 13 hours on Day One to get to Nashville
We made only one gas stop.
All our meals, snacks and beverages were in the car.   We stayed at Double Tree, Hilton in downtown Nashville. 
Very nice. No one had stayed in our room the day before. 
No pens or paper or magazines in the room. 
I brought a bottle of wine to our room.  
The desk said they could not find a wine bottle opener. 
I was worried as our nerves were frayed by each other in the last hour of travel.  We were tired and argumentative.
Ginger said there was no bar.  
I went down to get some more soda and look again.
There was a bar she missed.  No one was at the bar but a bartender. 
I asked him if I could bring my bottle down for him to open. 
He said he would look in the back for a wine bottle opener. 
Two minutes later he brought me a cheap 2 part opener. 
I gave him a dollar tip and he was very appreciative. 
Note to self: always pack a wine bottle opener. 
We had stopped doing that because of  security check ins not allowing them.
I enjoyed watching TV news and catching up on internet. 
Good night, great bed to sleep on. 


On Day Two we left Nashville at 7:30 AM.
We arrived in Topeka at 5:30 PM 613 miles later. 
No traffic driving out of Downtown but crowded slow traffic coming in.  
That morning we filled our tank with 18.8 gallons at our
second gas stop as we drove out of Nashville.

I have never planned and logged my trips so thoroughly before. 

We had help in the planning but we carried it out. 
In Atlanta our old GPS from our old 2004 Lexus was wrong about some exit ramps connecting highways as they had new construction.  That was nerve racking for us in heavy Al

I tell this story as a message as hope. 

Just because you have Alzheimers does not mean you can't make goals and achieve them.










No comments:

Post a Comment

update trials of Alzheimers

 The best part of the day is when I have a bowel movement.   Recently started Miralax. I found MOM too harsh. Pacing helps but I get exhaust...