Tuesday, January 14, 2020

Author of Defeating Dementia wrote me a letter about my review on Amazon

Dear Francis,
Good to hear from you. I will put my comments to your letter in purple

"Good afternoon, I wanted to tell you some things about myself.
 Eighteen or so months before I was diagnosed with Early Onset Alzheimer’s I was diagnosed with MCI by a graduate of Harvard Medical  School. I think I mentioned that in my book. In early 2015"
My main complaint is there is not a clear time line. 
 I find this omission in other personal stories of AZ.
I like the fact that you wrote the book about your experience in the first person.  
That is also rarely seen. 

"I spent 35 minutes on the phone with Dr Dale Bredesen and saw him in his lab at the Buck Institute in May 2015. We have been in contact ever since and I saw him again in person this past summer in one of his labs in Dallas."
As a physician this doesn't suggest an official exam. Did Dr. Bredesin do a neurological exam?

"I recently had further cognitive testing done by Dr Frederick Brown in San Antonio. I scored a thirty on a MoCA. My first cognitive test showed me in the 30th percentile. "
How long was this exam and is he a neurologist? What year?

"The first Dr. I ever visited for cognitive impairment, as is standard practice, investigated the possibility of reversable causes , and in fact suspected it might be a result of depression, which I was experiencing. The depression went away, the cognitive problems got worse," 
But you also had vitamin deficiencies. You never wrote which vitamins and the actual lab results.
Also you are still taking anti-depressants? Correct.

I had a Cat scan in 2011 that showed nothing, an MRI in 2015 or 16 that showed nothing other than enlarged spaces between the arachnids if. I recall correctly. This was after maybe 9 months on the protocol.
Good, those details should be in the book.
You mean Bredesen's protocol. Which Doctor wrote the Rx for the scan's and how did you afford them?

One reason I didn’t have a lot of early testing was no insurance, coupled with the firm belief that my problem was untreatable
Did a physician tell you that? 
I read this in the book, but you could afford a lot of travel?

The last thing I want to address is my motive. 
I have been taught that the best way to avoid self pity when times are hard is to do something for others.
I wrote the book so others might avoid the many mistakes I made as a result of my denial and my lack of facts about treating the disease. 
In fact, I Made an arrangement with Amazon that people with Amazon Prime could get it for free. They then  changed it to anyone with Amazon unlimited. 
It cost me money to do that, but so far hundreds of people have received copies at no charge. 
I have also told people on support group sites on line I will get one to anyone that can not afford the Kindle for free.
I am still skeptical.  Value is not only money, it is advertising and marketing. 
I have my YEAR ONE memoir published. 
YEAR TWO is at the publisher. 
I am presently writing YEAR THREE and would like your permission to use this letter in the book.
 Perhaps I should have but I did not.
I would humbly ask you to reconsider what you wrote, especially the part about never having been to a neuro lab. 
I can't confirm that as I have no independent evidence. You need to provide that in your next book. I think people would like an update. I know I do☺
I believe this is your second book?  My books have improved tremendously over the years.  I hope you write a review.
I know even a one star bad review is much better than no review at all. 😉
Thank you for your time, Frank McNear
God Bless Frank,
I hope we can continue the conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

update trials of Alzheimers

 The best part of the day is when I have a bowel movement.   Recently started Miralax. I found MOM too harsh. Pacing helps but I get exhaust...