Thursday, January 23, 2020

Is having a second home a bad thing for an Alzheimer's patient?



View from my condo on Hutchison Island.


Most people with Alzheimer’s are not snowbirds.
Is that a good thing or a bad thing?
Ginger and I go back and forth from Kansas to Florida. 
We go to the Airport Hilton a day before the flight in order to not have any stress missing the plane the next day.  We are 70 miles away from MCI.
We always get to the airport early. 
We have separate clothes already down in Florida. 
However we are taking a long International trip after Florida so we end up with more luggage than we really.  
Packing can be stressful especially to remember all the medications are refilled and all the subsequent travel plans are made. I take care of my own 13 medications. 
On this trip we had little stress and made no major mistakes. 


I was looking forward to warmer weather.  I could take a walk outside if it was sunny and 48 to 52 degrees.  I was often down to 20 degrees in the month of January in Kansas. 


We arrive to our condo and start the un-packing.  We also stopped at Sam’s to stock up. 
It’s a great deal of work which is probably good for us.  
We love seeing all our stuff in the Beachfront condo. 
We were able to get on Internet and two of our three TV’s.
Much faster and easier than in the past.  


Going back to Florida has made me happy.  
Travel is not for sissies.  
It is difficult for the elderly specially for those with Alzheimers. 
On cruises we see people 10-20 years old going on the 4-8 hours tours. 
Some with early dementia some with wheelchairs.  
That’s fortitude. 
Facing Alzheimer’s with Fortitude could be a good name for one of my next books.

Where am I?
It seems it takes longer for me to remember where I am in the morning.
It's only a matter of seconds, but as I navigate my way to the bathroom I am looking for Topeka home landmarks. Then it comes to me where I am. The fog of sleep? 
Doesn't seem very significant.
I remember most of the faces of the other residents in the condo but much more difficult to remember names. 
I remember the layout of the condo quite well.  
Recalling the codes of the doors comes back with some prompting. 
I can still function in the building. 
I can still remember how to navigate in the town. 

Is this transition good for my Alzheimer's brain or bad?
I think overall it is good. 
I recover many memories and I am engaged and interested in checking how things have changed.


















No comments:

Post a Comment

update trials of Alzheimers

 The best part of the day is when I have a bowel movement.   Recently started Miralax. I found MOM too harsh. Pacing helps but I get exhaust...