Wednesday, June 23, 2021

Review of A Tattoo on my Brain by Dr Daniel Gibbs Part One

 I began reading a book by a neurologist with Alzheimers written in the first person (mostly?).

Also written with Teresa H. Barker (ghost writer?).

I am really into this book.  

This neurologist was diagnosed two years before I was with Alzhiemers. 

On page 72,  Dr Gibbs writes about his mental status at age 63?

His cognitive status seems worse than my present mental status at age 69 and 7 months. 

Like me, Dr Gibbs believes it is important to be diagnonsed with Alzheimers as early as possible. 

When I recieved A Tattoo on my Brain yesterday, I started as I usually do by going to the index at the back.

In the Index I looked for:

1-ketosis

2-statins

3-alcohol (see #5)

4- Cholesterol level and heart attacks

5- Supplements (only one I found was flavonols p 129). He does not seem to advise dark chocolate 

but  does advise citrus, apples, legumes,  berries  and RED WINE

6- medicinal herbs was found on p123.  Dr Gibbs entered a trail to measure levels of this herb with a wash out period.  He never states the name of the herb. 

7- Dr Richard Issacson and Dr. Dale Bredensen are not in the index. 

8- Lab work results?

9- Death from time of diagnosis p twelve?  Eight years with no change since first patient diagnosed. 

10- Dreams p 162

What I have learned:

What I really love about this book. 

Dr Gibbs writes in the first person about his journey with Alzheimers.  Finally I find someone I can compare with my own progress. 

There are other others such a Bredesen's Julia and Issacson's Poster child but they have not written a detailed memoir such as Dr Gibbs and myself. 


Dr Gibbs is homozygous positive for ApoE4 gene. 

I have only one gene for it. 

Dr Gibbs never describes himself as having early onset AZ? 

One of my neurologists said I had early onset which surprised.  Perhaps because we know the disease does have an asymptomatic phase 10-20 years earlier. 


Dr Gibbs mental reserve is clearly gigantic compared to mine.  He level of education and scientific research over the years is impressive. 

I seem to be doing better than he did? 

I suggest it is because:

1: I am in ketosis with Atkins diet

2: I keep my systolic blood pressure less than 100 with two drugs ramipril(for DM) and diltiazem (for a fib)

3: I keep my LDLp down to 300 (rock bottom) 

4- I keep my non-fasting triglycerides less than 100

5- I still able to write my books yearly which I think keeps me mentally sharp.



Dr. Gibbs five instructions to help early Alzheimers. 







No comments:

Post a Comment

update trials of Alzheimers

 The best part of the day is when I have a bowel movement.   Recently started Miralax. I found MOM too harsh. Pacing helps but I get exhaust...