Tuesday, February 11, 2020

Weight lifting for Alzheimers

Link to article 

Advice I can get behind. 
Since I hurt my back in Sept I have avoided weights but I now will get back to it.

Excerpts:

"The participants doing strength exercises completed 90 minutes of supervised strength training (using dumbbells, weights or machines) 
each week for six months"

"They did that for 45 minutes, twice a week, for six months and then we waited for 12 months and that's when we saw these really strong effects," he said."


"In the control group, those sub-parts of the hippocampus were shrinking at an expected level of around 3 to 4 per cent.
"In those doing weight training, we saw much less, so 1 to 2 per cent and in some areas none at all.
"One is the chemical cocktail idea which is pumping weights and doing exercise releases a whole myriad of chemicals into the bloodstream which are good for the body, good for anti-diabetes, they're good for anti-inflammatory," he said.
"Some might get into the brain and promote plasticity."
"The other idea is a central nervous system idea, which is that doing exercise repetitively stimulates almost electrically these memory parts of the hippocampus."















No comments:

Post a Comment

update trials of Alzheimers

 The best part of the day is when I have a bowel movement.   Recently started Miralax. I found MOM too harsh. Pacing helps but I get exhaust...