Sunday, October 6, 2019

What difference does it make to know if you have Alzheimers?

Evolution of understanding my future with Alzheimers
After discussing my Uncle’s Alzheimers with my cousin on September 26, 2019 in New York City, I had more hope about living another five years in fair mental shape. 
Then I read the article by  Jasja De Smedt Kotterman titled,
What I Wish I Knew Before My Mother’s Alzheimer’s Death
It helped me formulate my own ideas about my living will.  I realized when I can no longer swallow, I want my family to stop my 13 medications including my Diabetes medicine. I also want to be started on a morphine drip so I am unconscious and don’t suffer from hunger and thirst. 
When I am unable to walk I would hope my family would put me into a Alzheimers nursing home where I can continue to watch TV.
If I get angry or depressed I hope the Doctor can give me some medication to calm me down.  I already take low dose Citalopam for dysphoria or light depression which I have taken my of adult life. 
If I can walk and eat I hope I can stay home for as long as possible. 
When I first had the diagnosis of Alzheimers made in December 2017 I was gobsmacked with depression and dread. 
I read I might have two years of maintaining mental capacity with the drug Aricept but I knew there was no cure.
Now that I am 23 months out from the diagnosis and believe I am doing very well mentally, I don’t have as much fear.  I am grateful for the last 2 wonderful years I have enjoyed. 
Before my diagnosis when I would get the mini-mental exam 100% correct, a Neurologist said what does it matter if I have Alzheimers?
I think my YEAR ONE book can explain to her why it matters.
It is better to live in the light of truth with boldness and hope
than in the darkness of uncertainty with worry and fear of the unknown.
After I retired in 2009 I passed the American Board of Obesity Medicine Boards.  I wanted to open an Obesity Clinic in Topeka. 
I had to re-activate my license and since I was over 65 years old the state board wanted me to be evaluated for practice. 
The state required that I participate in the Colorado Physician Assessment)(CPEP).
 CPEP charged me $8,000 for the one day evaluation done in Denver at their office
on 8-15-16.
The Healing Arts Board of Kansas showed me the CPEP evaluation.  I was unimpressed with my performance. The Board’s decision after reading the CPEP report was that they would activate my licence but I would have to be trained and evaluated by the CPEP. 
What caught my eye was they reported I did poorly on my cognitive exam, especially math and was advised by CPEP to have further evaluation for my poor result. 
I closed my Obesity Clinic on 11-12-2016

This is why I pursued a Neurology consult. 
On Jan. 26, 2017 I went to Dr. Ahmed, a lady neurologist from India,  who seemed very confident and nice. Her nurse told me if I did not get not get one question wrong on the mini-cog exam, Medicare would not pay for my CT scan.  I was lucky, I had read the name of the building The Port Saint Lucie Family Health Center on the way into the building and got that question correct.  I had a perfect score of 12.

Dr. Ahmed said there was a program to do a free PET Amyloid Scan and she gave me the information. I felt I was getting somewhere. 

She asked what difference did it make if I had Alzheimer’s disease? 
I replied I would like to know what I am dealing with so I can make plans. 

She scheduled me for an MRI on Feb 3, 2017.  As far as I know Medicare and my supplement paid for it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

update trials of Alzheimers

 The best part of the day is when I have a bowel movement.   Recently started Miralax. I found MOM too harsh. Pacing helps but I get exhaust...