Tuesday, October 1, 2019

"You must suffer"

October 1, 2019

I am on the MS Riviera with the Oceania cruise line.  

Today we docked at Bar Harbor, Maine on the
COLORS, COASTS and COVES CRUISE.
Finally saw a few yellow leaves.   

We have already visited Bar Harbor on a prior cruise. 
 Today the weather was not so good. 
 Down to 53 degrees Farenheit, cloudy. 

One neurologist told me I should have a few rest days on my travels. 

Thus we stayed on the ship for 2 days.
 We scheduled a massage for each of us today. 
 I usually don't get massages anymore but I have had persistent bad back pain from a left lower back muscle since I pulled the muscle while trying to put on new sneakers in Krakow, Poland on September 8, 2019. 

The pain has improved a little with time.  
I try to stretch each day. 
I have put ice on my back a few times. 
When the pain was severe I took a muscle relaxer and a NSAID pain killer.  I only took these pills once or twice a day for a few days as I believed they are only for temporary pain relief. 

The pain wore me down and I decided to get a massage today on the ship.  

We had ship credits which covered our two massages which cost $350 total.  
The massages were 50 minutes long and I choose the Tension release massage. 

I find deep massage to be painful and I was already in pain. 
I told them I did not want a deep massage. 
I told my wife if they start to hurt me I am going to stop the massage.  

A very nice small young lady from Thailand named Pui asked me to lay down on the massage table.  She knew I wanted to concentrate on my left lower back.  I didn't expect the massage to accomplish much despite trials showing massage is effective. 

My masseuse, Pui started off with stretching me.  
Not too bad and was more than I was familiar with. 
She proceeded to work up and down my spine, scapulas and buttocks.  
She would build up to an amazing amount of pressure on many the muscles knots I had no idea I had. 
I would moan at a low pressure. 
At medium pressure I would  cry out in pain. 
At that point she would say "mmhuh" as she said yes this the problem spot causing her to increase to maximum pressure and I would yell out in pain.  
I would plead, please not so hard. 
She would ignore me.  

More severe pain, and I would implore her to stop. 
I said I couldn't take the pain.  

She said nicely in an encouraging voice.  
"You must suffer to release the muscles." 

I did want my back to get better so I sucked it up.
When the pain would get very severe I would breath rapidly the way pregnant women are taught to do when they deliver a baby. 

My sadistic masseuse Pui just kept going.  
She was determined to fix me.
I thought she would make a good orthopedic surgeon.  Pui applied so much pressure that my rapid breathing would fail and be replaced by a scream of pain but Pui then applied more pressure causing me to break down in hopeless laughter.

Finally I said 50 minutes must be over by now. 
She ignored me and said she was now going to apply heavy pressure.  She asked so nicely, I hesitantly said okay. 

I couldn't see what she was doing but she applied a broad band of pressure on the back of my upper thigh.  This not on a muscle knot and while uncomfortable it did not cause intense pain. She worked her way down my leg and up my spine with what must have been her foot.
Between my scapulas she plants both her feet and takes a little jump.
I was shocked.
I asked her if she was standing on my back?
Pui replied yes.
I asked her how much she weighed?  130 pounds?
She didn't answer.
I suggested 110 pounds?
No answer.
I know normal weight for a five foot women is 100 pounds.
She is asian and might be less however she was so strong her muscles might make her heavier.

Praise God, the massage was over.
I looked at the clock and saw she had gone 30 minutes over her allotted time.  

It seemed she found me such a challenge that she wanted to cure me.  

She told me to go in the Sauna for 10 minutes and then 10 minutes in the steam bath.  
I was to then take a hot shower.  

In USA the masseuses tell me not to go in the hot tub.  

In my pursuit of happiness as a Alzheimers patient I avoid struggle, stress and suffering.

Pui persuaded me to accept the painful suffering to get better?

I have never had a massage such as this before. 

Pui, told me I needed a second session.
While I nodded pleasantly I thought to myself that will never happen.

Pui asked me post massage how I felt?
I replied, good.

I remembered what Heavyweight Boxing Champion, Max Baer  said when he was asked why he was banging his head against the wall?
Max said, "because it feels so good when I stop."

Serial painful massages may eventually help my back pain, but when I get home I will use ice and my E stim machine to take care of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment

update trials of Alzheimers

 The best part of the day is when I have a bowel movement.   Recently started Miralax. I found MOM too harsh. Pacing helps but I get exhaust...